Spiralized Vegan Mac & Cheese
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, about 1/2 head
- 3 medium-small carrots, sliced into coins
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tsp coconut oil or dairy free butter substitute
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 medium yellow squash
1. Steam cauliflower and carrots together in steamer basked over boiling water 15 minutes until soft. Do not submerge in water.
2. to make cheese sauce, place cooked cauliflower and carrots with nutritional yeast, coconut oil, ground flax seeds, milk, garlic, mustard powder, turmeric, sea salt, and cayenne pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the knife blade. Puree, stopping to scrape down sides, until mixture is very smooth, about 3 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Cut a horizontal slit into the squash, not quite into the middle, and spiralize to make half moon-shaped pasta.
5. In a large bowl, mix together squash, macaroni, and cheese sauce. Spoon mixture into an 8x8 inch baking sheet.
6. Place in preheated oven and bake uncovered 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrients Per Serving
- Fat: 3 g
- Sodium: 191 mg
- Carbohydrate: 12 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 3 g