Red Quinoa Zucchini Burgers
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 5 1/2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 3 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
Bring broth, sweet potato, and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Transfer to bowl to cool.
Stir chickpeas, zucchini, pumpkin seeds, ground flaxseeds, basil, salt, pepper, chili powder, and thyme into quinoa mixture, mashing chickpeas and sweet potato but leaving some chunks. Shape mixture into 8 patties.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, or preheat grill to medium-high.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from heat, and either place on baking sheet, and bake 15 minutes, or cook on grill 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
Nutrients Per Serving
- Calories: 242
- Protein: 9 g
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrate: 29 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Sodium: 346 mg
- Potassium: 448 mg
- Phosphorus: 339 mg